September 5, 2023
Pro Bono Partnership’s volunteers and staff lawyers have been busy over the past few months generating new and updated articles of special interest to the nonprofit community. Here is a summary of the most recent articles posted on our website.
Publications Authored by Our Law Firm Partners
- Internal Investigation Checklist: This article provides an extensive, though not exhaustive, overview of the steps to be taken during an internal investigation, and includes sample questions to ask. The authors, Amanda Miller and Christina Silva, from the Jackson Lewis law firm, are presenting our webinar, Best Practices for Conducting Internal Investigations and How to Avoid Investigation Bias, on October 11, 2023. To register, please click here.
- Nonprofit Hiring Toolkit: The Basics of What You Need to Know as a Nonprofit Employer in New Jersey: This article, written by Jackson Lewis’ David Islinger, provides a detailed overview of the steps involved when a nonprofit is ready to hire its first employee.
- Summary Survey of State Charity Registration Requirements: This article summarizes the charitable registration requirements in each of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. The article was written by a team of lawyers and paraprofessional from the Lowenstein Sandler law firm.
Publications Authored by Our Staff Lawyers
- Charitable Registration in New York: This article provides guidance on the New York laws that require charities to register their fundraising activities with state regulators. Our earlier articles with respect to the requirements in Connecticut and New Jersey are posted here and here.
- Conducting an Employee Termination Meeting: This article provides some practical tips for conducting an employee termination meeting.
- Frequently Asked Questions on Incorporation and Tax Exemption: This article contains answers to frequently asked questions about forming a nonprofit corporation and applying for tax-exempt status as a 501(c)(3) public charity.
- New Jersey’s Revised Unemployment Compensation Claims Process: This article explains the completely revamped manner in which unemployment compensation claims will be processed in New Jersey in 2023.
- Resources for Starting a New Nonprofit Tax-Exempt Organization in New Jersey: This article provides new groups with suggestions on how to draft a business plan and links to resources on starting a new nonprofit in New Jersey.
- Resources for Starting a New Nonprofit Tax-Exempt Organization in New York: This article provides new groups with suggestions on how to draft a business plan and links to resources on starting a new nonprofit in New York.
Our earlier article, Resources for Starting a New Nonprofit Tax-Exempt Organization in Connecticut, is posted here.
This document is provided as a general informational service to volunteers, clients, and friends of Pro Bono Partnership. It should not be construed as, and does not constitute, legal advice on any specific matter, nor does distribution of this document create an attorney-client relationship.